Position Announcement: Director, Digital Communications and Technology
Position will remain open until filled.
The American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences is a member organization that is currently seeking a Director, Digital Communications and Technology. This position is responsible for ensuring that all communications (print and digital) support the member approved strategic plan and will join a team of 8 staff. The Director, Digital Communications and Technology will use a combination of creativity, innovation, and practical marketing knowledge to deliver messages and maintain brand recognition for the association and the profession. This position requires technical skills to work with software to create graphics, videos, blog posts, podcasts, journals, and other interactive formats that are in-line with the organizations goals to serve its members and foster stronger engagement. The Director must have the requisite social/digital media skills to ensure that these campaigns are successfully implemented. To this end, a working knowledge of SEO, as well as growth tracking, ROI, web-related data analysis and other metrics is ideal. AAFCS a highly collaborative position so excellent teamwork and communication skills are vital; candidates should be comfortable communicating with teammates in other departments, members, program partners and the media. The Director, Digital Communications and Technology reports to the Executive Director and will work in various cross-functional settings. QUALIFICATIONS:
- A bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing or a related field is required.
- Professional certification in marketing and or website development is a plus.
- A minimum of 5-7 years previous work experience is required. Experience with a nonprofit association and working with educators is a plus.
- Previous experience working with web development is essential including content planning and strategy, SEO and search, A/B testing, website optimization, website accessibility and mobile technology.
- Experience in association management systems (AMS) and content managements systems (CMS) database management and Higher Logic is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 apps, Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Reader), Canva and Capsule.
- Ability to develop and implement strategies for website updates and/or re-designs to ensure an engaging and user-friendly website, including regularly updated and accurate content.
- Excellent skills in project management, internal stakeholder management, and interpersonal/small group communications.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with attention to detail.
- Adept in writing for the web with focus on user experience best practices, including writing, editing, and producing website and digital content.
- Strong verbal communications skills, including ability to communicate effectively with members and the public.
- Develop and implement a communication strategic plan to create meaningful and measurable value and impact.
- Lead the design, development, delivery, management, and measurement of all strategic and targeted digital, video, and print communications.
- Serve as staff lead to create and implement engaging content for all programs, member services and campaigns for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, and any other emerging channels. Set goals, objectives, and KPIs in line with the social media strategy including audience engagement and growth goals across all social platforms. Monitor social media performance on an ongoing basis to guide strategy optimization and articulate the reason for strategy decisions the staff.
- Serve as staff lead for the management of website/content management system (CMS), to make continuous improvements, implement processes and planned updates to website design and properties including requirements process, testing, quality assurance and measurements.
- Conduct market research and competitive analysis to continually identify ways to improve member digital engagement.
- Provide affiliates with training and support for the management of state websites.
- Support the layout, design, and graphics for the Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, and production of all programs, member, conference materials, and the Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences.
- Oversee the development and sales of AAFCS and FCS products.
- Provide leadership for all communication functions for virtual and in-person meetings to include technology (website and mobile) attendee outreach, graphics, and signage.
- Serve as staff lead for budget development, monitoring, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Supervise the Associate Director, Conference and Communications.
- Manage contractors and vendors that support the communication work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Director, Communications and Technology will be required to travel to Alexandria, Virginia as needed for bimonthly staff meetings and to the Annual Conference.
- AAFCS employees work remotely.
- AAFCS has a competitive benefit program to include health, dental, disability, paid time off, and a retirement plan.
For consideration, send a resume and cover letter w/salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the Subject Line: Your last name and the title of the position for which you are applying. No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled. American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS). AAFCS is the only association for family and consumer sciences students and professionals across multiple practice settings and content areas. For 112 years, AAFCS has focused its mission on providing leadership and support for professionals whose work assists individuals, families, and communities in making more informed decisions about their well-being, relationships, and resources to achieve optimal quality of life. Through research, experiential education, and technology, our members help people develop the essential knowledge and skills to lead better lives, be work and career ready, build strong families, and make meaningful contributions to our communities. AAFCS celebrates, embraces, and respects the value of every person. We denounce all expressions of hate, racism, injustice, and discrimination. Our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice is demonstrated through our work to improve the well-being and quality of life for individuals, families, and communities.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
It is the policy of AAFCS to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons and to prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender, marital status, family relationship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, genetics, disability, religion, veteran status, parental or family medical leave, or political affiliation, and all other federal, state and local protected classes.
It is also the policy of AAFCS to take affirmative action to recruit and to employ people of communities of color and other protected groups. Communities of color are defined as African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Native Americans. The protected groups are those groups of persons who have historically been most disadvantaged by discriminatory practices, including practices formerly sanctioned by law.
The affirmative action and equal opportunity clause of this policy requires that the hire of applicants and treatment during employment occur without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, marital status, family relationship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, genetics, disability, religion, veteran status, parental or family medical leave, or political affiliation, and all other federal, state and local protected classes.
The affirmative action and equal opportunity clause applies to all employment actions including, but not limited to, recruitment, appointment, reappointment, promotion, transfer, demotion, termination, compensation, benefits, layoff, and training. Furthermore, the policy applies to all executive, academic, administrative employees, and to full-time, part-time, temporary, probationary, and permanent employees.
Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS). Family and consumer sciences or FCS is the field of study focused on the science and the art of living and working well in our complex world. The field represents many areas, including human development, personal and family finance, housing and interior design, food science, nutrition, and wellness, textiles and apparel, and consumer issues.